Is there anyone who is not yet fallen in love with Chinese food? A wide range of Hakaw recipe is now trending, and people from around the world are even experimenting in their traditional way. But Hakaw is similar to dim sum recipes whose wrap must not have gained the moisture from the steam. It must have a smooth taste and properly cooked shrimps inside. Today, we are going to share with you one such Chinese dumpling that you would love to try.
Preparing Hakaw Recipe
In order to make hakaw from scratch, we need to divide the cooking into two parts, i.e., the dough Preparation and the filling preparation.
- 1 ½ cup wheat starch
- Secondly 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup hot water for kneading
Ingredients for Filling:
- 350-gram shrimps
- 1 chopped green onion
- 2 ½ tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 50 grams of bamboo shoots
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tsp salt
- Put all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl and add the hot water in it and mix with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Shift the mixture on the counter and start kneading it while it is still hot. Knead until you get the firm dough or some flour if it’s too sticky.
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and also start rolling them with your palms to attain a cylinder shape with a length of about 8 inches.
- Now cut each cylindrical roll into eight similar pieces and cover them with a cloth or wraps to lock the moisture inside and let them rest for a while.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by first cleaning the prawns and then marinate them in water for a while. Afterward, wash them thoroughly and chop them finely.
- Add the chopped shrimps, eggs, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, sugar, ginger paste, bamboo shoots, and chopped onion to a bowl.
- Mix all these ingredients well and set them aside.
Further Preparations: Hakaw Recipe
- Now coming back to the Hakaw wraps roll them with the rolling pin into thinnest possible sheets and also press them with the base of any pan by putting every dough piece between 2 non-sticking layers.
- Take a round flattened sheet and start making pleats by folding the edges of the sheet.
- Each pleat must overlap the other one. Leave 1/3 of the edge without pleats. By doing this, you will get a pouch-shaped wrap.
- Fill the center of this pouch with the shrimp filling and moreover slightly press the edges to pack the filling inside. The hakaw will now have a roughly semi-circular shape. Fill all the wraps the same way and likewise set them aside on your working counter.
- Preheat your steamer and steam cook the hakaw in them for around 8-10 minutes. Remove from flame and let them in the steamer for at least 3 minutes.
- Finally, you can use any sauce that you like to serve them, serving hot is the best.